What support does the EAASU provide?
The Education Team continues to operate the Education Advice and Advocacy Support Unit (EAASU) which is a service aimed at supporting Gypsy, Roma and Traveller families who are facing significant educational challenges and who often face discrimination in the provision of educational and social support services. We provide support for the following areas:
- Assistance with school admissions and applications
- Advice on how to tackle anti-Gypsy, Roma and Traveller bullying
- Advice and support for education related expenses (school uniform and school transport)
- Assistance with registering special educational needs and disabilities, as well as the provision of an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP)
- Support with issues of non-attendance and the use of ‘the t-code’ for applicable absences
- Advice and support on all types of school exclusions (including self-exclusions)
- Advice on how to provide effective elective home education and when to opt for formal education
- Support with referrals for extra educational tuition
- Advice on progression in to further and higher education courses and forms of study, as well as many other topics.
The Education Advice and Advocacy Support Unit (EAASU) also provides support, guidance and training for education-linked organisations who wish to increase their engagement with Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities.
Reviews of Advocacy Support Unit
"I appreciate everything you have been doing and I know we wouldn't have gotten this far without you and the Traveller Movement. I am very thankful."